Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Heal Me, Fill Me: Day Two

15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst (and this is Paul talking...THE APOSTLE PAUL who was an amazing Christ follower). 16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe (that's you and me) in him and receive eternal life. -1 Timothy 1:15-16 (NIV)

The Apostle Paul was one who understood he had NO BUSINESS walking around with a magnifying glass finding fault with others; instead, he knew it was his responsibility to look intently into the mirror of God's Word and see his true condition.

1. Have you spent more time these past couple of weeks looking through a magnifying glass at others' faults or in a mirror at your own? Why do you think that's been the case for you?

2. Do you see yourself as Paul saw himself? Why or why not? 

3. Notice how God responded to someone who understood their true condition (v. 16); He extended to Paul mercy and patience. And isn't that exactly what you want from God? And isn't that exactly what the vampires in your life need from you? Having the mercy and patience to give begins with my recognition of my need for those two very things in my life.

4. Let's get practical now. Who is it that you can offer mercy and patience to today? Take a minute right now to decide how you will extend those gifts to them today. (write a note, send a text, give a listening ear, etc.)

Heavenly Father, thank You for the endless mercy You extend to us; thank You for the limitless patience You display. If it wasn't for your mercy and patience we would all be without any hope at all. As I spend time in your presence - as I read your Word, as I pray, as I sing to You - transform me by your Spirit so that I can offer mercy and patience to some vampires today. Amen.

6 comments:

Gail Sharp-Schreck said...

Mercy and patience -- what a wonderful gift given to us -- and to be shared with others!

MonaLisa T. Botts said...

If Christ can extend mercy and patience to Saul (who was involved in killing Stephen the first martyr and many other followers of Christ) and then turn Saul’s life around to become Paul one of the greatest ambassadors for Christ ever in the world then our blessed Jesus can extend mercy and patience to all who accept him as their savior and give us the strength to extend mercy and patience to the vampires in our lives. Christ’s power is available for us we just need to receive it.

Anonymous said...

Based on my research over the last 24 hours, AT&T and TWC are full of vampires that are trying to force me to respond by being ugly! I remembered our lessons and kept my cool... for the most part. I remind myself that they are in my life to test me.

Maria said...

Hey Mr. Jody,

God bless you and thank you :)!!

Anonymous said...

Today I stepped back and really looked at a person in my life that is full of drama on every visit. I looked at my reaction to him and my judgement. As I saw what I was doing my heart softened and I was able to see him in a different light and offered kindness instead of letting impatience and anger lead me. It has been a lovely peaceful afternoon.

julie said...

Maria and I have looked at both days, so you can add one more person to your blog, not that anyone counting, ha, ha!!!!! I was thinking about the blog from yesterday an thinking about the river running through us and thought of how water clenses our body and how God clenses us with his clean water. For today's blog, mercy and patience, I try to think why a person says or does wha they do and I think most of it stems from a person's child-hood. If you can think why a person is the way they are, it helps with having the mercy and patience you need for some of the vampires in our lives!!!! Our family is so grateful we found CUMC and you as the minister!!! I have grown in my faith with your and Maria's help!!!!